Jaguar Mark V
The Jaguar Mark V was launched at the 1948 London Motor Show at the same time as the XK120, with which it shared a stand. While the XK120 had a new overhead-camshaft XK engine, the Mark V retained the 1936 driveline including the "Jaguar" overhead-valve pushrod straight-6 2.5 L and 3.5 L units for which the company was renamed after the war. The chassis was new with independent front suspension by double wishbones and torsion bar, an arrangement that would be used by Jaguar for many future vehicles. It also had hydraulic brakes, which Jaguar had been slow to adopt compared to other manufacturers, and an all pressed steel body.
The styling of the car followed prewar SS Jaguar lines with an upright chrome grille; the leaping Jaguar radiator cap mascot became available as an option. A distinctive styling touch was a "tuck in" curve at the base of the rear window following the curved profile of the side glass. There was also a drophead coupe version that is now highly sought after, an extraordinary example of which is offered here from the Rick Davis Collection.
This 1950 Jaguar Mark V 3-Position Drophead Coupe was found in California about 13 years ago by Florida Jaguar collector Gail Symon, who was told that the car was originally owned by an Admiral of an aircraft carrier, who purchased it off the floor of a new car dealer in Turin, Italy and had it stored on his carrier for use in every port of call.
This Mark V was featured at a Mecum Auction in Kissimmee, Florida in January 2013.
Source: Mecum Auctions