GMC 150 ¾-Ton Pickup Truck
In 1909, General Motors purchased the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company and formed the basis of the General Motors Truck Company, from which the GMC Truck Division was ultimately derived. In Billy Durant’s quest to expand General Motors, Rapid was a logical purchase as the company developed some of the earliest commercial trucks ever designed. That same year, the Reliance Motor Car Company was purchased by GM. Rapid and Reliance were merged in 1911, and in 1912, the GMC Truck moniker first appeared on vehicles exhibited at the New York International Auto Show. The division expanded rapidly, and during WWII, GMC Truck produced 600,000 vehicles for use by the United States Armed Forces. All were produced at the GMC main facility in Pontiac, Michigan, from 1939 to 1950.
By the end of 1949, GMC was billing its trucks as “the finest all-star truck line.” No small wonder as the marque offered 224 different types of bodies and chassis, nine engine choices, and a large variety of special equipment options. Sales were strong with 80,407 registrations; good enough to pass International Harvester to become the fourth largest truck manufacturer in the United States.
This rugged pickup truck is nicely equipped, including a chrome grille, chrome front and rear bumpers, a heater/defroster, and the optional two-tone paint and four-speed manual transmission. The base price from new was $1,390, before options. Finished with a maroon body with black fenders and chassis, it boasts an excellent frame-up restoration to original specification. The restoration is well-documented with a binder that includes both receipts dating from 2005–2009 and photographs, which are available for inspection. Oak bed slats are finished, and the pickup box remains unused since restoration. It has been driven regularly and is fully-sorted in preparation for its new owner. Adding to its desirability, its ¾-ton rating and GMC nameplate make it much less common than the typical Ford or Chevy ½-ton pickup.
Part of the RM Auctions Hershey event in October, 2012.
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Owen Fitter