Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 S Cabriolet
In 1939, the Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 was replaced by the 6C 2500. Although the basic engine design traced its roots to the great pre-war racing machines, highly regarded automotive author and historian Griffith Borgeson characterized the 2500 as a “bridge to post-World War II production”. This change was affected by an increase in the cylinder bore of two millimetres, as well as an improved cylinder head for better aspiration and increased compression, from 6.5:1 to 7.1:1. In the sport configuration, this translated into a respectable 95 horsepower with performance aided by lightweight aluminium coachwork.
This Pinin Farina cabriolet was delivered new in Spain, where it was imported on the special authorization by the Minister for Trade, Mr Arburua, having been ordered on 28th October 1947 and delivered on 9th March 1948, through the agency of the Alfa Romeo importer Ruiz Jimenez. It was sold to a Mr Dioniso, head of the Madrid Stock Exchange agents. He gifted it to his mistress, Ms Emilia Sierra. The car remained in its original ownership until 1987, when it was acquired by its second owner, who also retained it for quite a long time. While in its second ownership, it was restored and well maintained until coming into its current ownership within the last several years.
Part of the RM Auctions in London in October, 2012.
95 bhp, 2,443 cc dual overhead cam inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, four-wheel independent suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 118 in.
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Remco Pronk