Renault Alpine A106
The Alpine A106 was the first of a line of light-weight glass-fibre bodied, rear-engined two-door coupés produced for a young competition-oriented Dieppe based Renault dealer called Jean Rédélé. The car was based on mechanical components from the Renault 4CV.
The emphasis at this stage was not on selling cars to the public but on chalking up successes in competition, indicating financial support from Renault for Alpine. Following on from the one-off “Marquis” and “Alemano” prorotypes, in the summer of 1955 the first three Alpine A106s, painted respectively red, white and blue, were presented to Renault CEO Pierre Dreyfus in the yard at Renault’s large Billaincourt plant.
The A106 still came with the same little 747 cc Renault engine, but now three different power output versions were offered, providing respectively 21 hp at 4,100 rpm, 30 hp, at 4,800 rpm or, on the “A106 Mille Miles”, 43 hp at 6,300 rpm. Performance differences correlated with different carburettors and higher compression ratios and, in the case of the fastest car, 40 kg (88 lb) of weight reduction.
Source: Wikipedia, 2012