Chrysler Imperial LeBaron

Imperial was the Chrysler Corporation's luxury automobile brand between 1955 and 1975 and had a brief reappearance in 1981 to 1983.

In 1955, the company decided to spin it off as its own make and division to better compete with its rivals, Lincoln and Cadillac. Imperial would see new body styles introduced every two to three years, all with V8 engines and automatic transmissions, as well as technologies that would filter down to Chrysler corporation's other models.

Starting in 1957, Imperials were available in three levels of trim: standard Imperial (also known as Imperial Custom), Imperial Crown, and the new, super-luxury Imperial LeBaron (not to be confused with the later, cheaper Chrysler Le Baron). Through the late 1950s and into the early 1960s styling would continue to become "Longer, Lower, Wider", with the addition of some of the wildest fins on a car. The "FliteSweep Deck Lid", a fake continental tire bulge, was an option from 1957 through 1961 and again in 1963 (due to demand).

In 1960 Imperial LeBarons now featured a distinctive smaller "formal rear window" for greater rear seat privacy. The 1961 model year brought a wholly new front end with free-standing headlights on short stalks in cut-away front fenders.

The tailfins were largely truncated in 1962, topped with free-standing gunsight taillights, but these were elongated, streamlined affairs. The front grille was split, as in 1955-56, and a large round Eagle hood ornament was fitted for the first time. The 1962 models had a new, slimmer TorqueFlite A727 automatic transmission, which allowed for a smaller transmission "hump" in the floor. This provided greater comfort for passengers in the center seat up front.

Source: Wikipedia, 2012

Be part of something big