AC Ace

Auto Carriers began life as a builder of little three-wheeled commercial vehicles prior to the First World War. The factory was located in Thames Ditton, outside London in Surrey. The company introduced its first car, the A.C. Six, in 1919, equipped with a two-litre wet liner overhead cam engine. The name was changed to A.C. Cars Ltd. in 1921; all the while, the firm developing its racing successes.

AC surprised the motoring world in 1953 by announcing its new Ace sports car. Although the car retained the company’s Bristol-BMW-derived 1,991-cubic centimetre engine, the motor was now tuned to 85 horsepower. The chassis and coachwork were startlingly modern with styling and design by John Tejeiro; his inspiration, no doubt, coming from the contemporary Ferrari Barchetta. This was a classic post-war English roadster: all-independent suspension, a spartan leather upholstered cockpit, full instrumentation, four-speed gearbox, and in English tradition, minimal weather protection. The Ace offered excellent performance: 160-plus km/h and a 0–97 km/h time of 11.5 seconds.

173 hp, 2,553 cc Rudd-Ford six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, front and rear independent suspension with double wishbones and transverse rear leaf springs, and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 90 in.

Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Pieter E. Kamp

Be part of something big