Chevrolet Impala SS
Chevrolet’s “big block” performance originated in 1958 with the “W” head 348-cubic inch “Turbo-Thrust” V-8, which began as a truck engine but found its way into the all-new Impala for 1958. Relentlessly developed, it grew to 409-cubic inches and 425 bhp by 1962, and Chevy’s Biscaynes and Impalas utterly dominated the emerging Super Stock classes at the drag strip and were strong performers in NASCAR competition until GM again distanced itself from racing in 1963. Nonetheless, Chevrolet engineers quietly continued their work, developing the 409’s successor, the all-new Mark IV 396-cubic inch big block V-8, which debuted in 1965.
Continuing to bask in the glow of the early-1960s glory days when Chevrolet’s full-size Impala and lightweight Biscayne ruled the street and strip, full-size Chevrolets received all-new bodywork for 1965 and again for 1967. Deceptively large with crisp, taut lines, the full-size Chevrolets were available with the enlarged 427-cubic inch Mark IV V-8 beginning in 1967, supported by an ever-growing list of powertrain and suspension options to harness its massive output.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2012 at The Inn at St. John's, Plymouth, Michigan.
385 bhp, 427 cu. in. RPO L36 V-8 engine with single four-barrel carburetor, Muncie four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with unequal length A-arms and coil springs, live rear axle with coil springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 119"
Source: RM Auctions