Cadillac V-8 Roadster
Having established a reputation for the precision manufacture of high-quality motor cars and leading the industry with its innovative electric starting and lighting systems in 1912, Cadillac pushed the technical envelope further in 1915 with the first mass-produced V-8 engine. Designed by D. McCall White, a Scottish-born engineer, the new L-head engine used two cast-iron blocks with integral heads, mounted on a common crankcase of aluminum and copper alloy. With the cylinder banks placed directly opposite each other, the engine also employed Cadillac founder Henry Leland’s preferred fork-and-blade connecting rods.
The Type 61 was introduced in September 1921 and remained in production through the 1923 model year, with production totals of about 41,000 units. The Cadillac Type 61 was available in 12 body styles on a single 132-inch wheelbase. Although little changed from the Type 59 and 60 models of 1920 and 1921, the new Type 61 did feature a higher radiator and raised hood shoulders, as well as an aluminum hood. The Type 61 also benefited from a lowered center of gravity but maintained the same ground clearance as before by using smaller diameter wheels.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
314.5 cu. in. L-head V-8 engine, three-speed selective sliding gear manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, full-floating rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and two-wheel internal and external mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 132"
Source: RM Auctions