Ford Deluxe Woodie Station Wagon
Although late to market with a factory station wagon (Durant Motors Star being the first in 1923), Ford literally commanded that segment of the industry since it first entered in 1929. Sales of nearly 142,000 wood-bodied wagons through 1948 easily established the company as the nation’s wagonmaster.
The new Lincoln-Zephyr had a huge influence on the 1937 Fords. The pointed prow, penned by designer E.T. “Bob” Gregorie, was a direct takeoff, as were the teardrop-shaped headlights recessed into the fenders. The first Ford with an “alligator” hood, it was also novel in placing the battery in the engine compartment.
The V8 engine was revised for better cooling, placing the water pumps at the bottom and moving the water outlets to the middle of the cylinder heads. This configuration would endure for more than a decade. The rod-operated mechanical brakes gave way to a cable arrangement.
Station wagons received some updates of their own. A bench replaced the individual seats in the second row, located to the left so that passengers could easily access the third seat via the right side. For the first time there was a glass-windowed liftgate at the rear. The Deluxe Accessory Group had become so popular that a separate series of body numbers, signified by “B,” was adopted.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California, in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona, in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania and in June of 2012 at the Dingman Collection, Hampton, New Hampshire.
85 bhp, 221 cu. in. L-head V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel