Chrysler CL Imperial Dual Windshield Phaeton
The 1932 and 1933 chassis was a refinement of the 1931 Chrysler CG series, renamed the CL Imperial. The 1932 styling was clearly an improvement over 1931. Changes for 1933 marked yet another leap forward and included a more imposing frontal view and a sharply pointed grille that blended into the remarkably long hood line, achieved by overlapping the cowl and extending it to the raked split windshield. In many ways, the 1933 models represent Chrysler’s ultimate aesthetic statement of the Classic Era.
The design firm of LeBaron Carrossiers Inc. was founded in 1920 by two of the most respected names from the era of the great coachbuilders, Thomas L. Hibbard and Raymond Dietrich. Most interesting, Hibbard and Dietrich chose to operate only a design office, without actual coachbuilding facilities. This arrangement allowed them the flexibility to work independently from, yet with, chassis manufacturers and coachbuilding firms.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in August of 2011 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
135 bhp, 384.84 cu. in. L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, two-barrel carburetor, automatic vacuum clutch, stamped-steel ladder-type chassis, solid front axle, semi-elliptic leaf spring suspension, and four-wheel Lockheed hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 146"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel