Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GS
Alfa Romeo introduced the 1,752 cc six-cylinder powered cars designed by Vittorio Jano in 1929. Adept on both road and racing circuits, the powerplant proved reliable and powerful, offering impressive output from its relatively small displacement. Also benefiting from excellent handling, the car, in top, factory racing engine specification, could comfortably exceed 160 km/h.
The 6C 1750 is also notable in that it introduced the use of saloon bodies manufactured in-house by Alfa Romeo along with those produced by such firms as Touring, Castagna and Zagato, among others. Three models were available: the single overhead-cam Turismo with a 122-inch wheelbase and a maximum speed of about 115 km/h; the twin overhead-cam Gran Turismo with 108- or 114-inch wheelbase and a top speed of about 125 km/h; and the Gran Sport or Super Sport, a supercharged Gran Turismo producing 85 hp and a top speed of 150 km/h. Regardless of the version, the 6C 1750 remains one of the most compelling and desirable of all of Alfa Romeo’s models. All told, only 2,579 1750s were built through 1933.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August of 2011 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
1,752 cc, DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, twin camshaft, Rootes-type supercharger, four-speed manual transmission, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes, est. 85 bhp, solid front and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs.
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel