Aston Martin DB4
In 1956, development on an all-new Aston Martin model began concurrently with the DB2-derived DB Mark III, which was produced into 1959. The resulting new car, named DB4, was introduced at the Paris Motor Show during the autumn of 1958. With ‘Superleggera’ construction and styling by Touring of Milan, it caused a sensation and set the tone of Aston Martin styling for years to come. An all-new, advanced construction engine designed by Tadek Marek, the Polish-born engineer who became synonymous with Aston Martin engine design and engineering, was also introduced with this model to great acclaim. The chassis, designed by Harold Beach, was both simpler in design and more rigid than its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel platform frame. Proficiency on the road was enhanced by four-wheel Dunlop (later Girling) disc brakes and, of course, the phenomenal Marek-designed DOHC straight six.
But the heart of the matter was its engine, fitted with dual overhead camshafts and displacing 3,670 cc. Entirely constructed from aluminum, it produced 240 bhp in standard tune with its dual SU carburetors. While its specifications were certainly impressive, it most importantly provided a platform for further development and continued, with various displacements and power ratings, through mid-1973.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2012 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
240 bhp, 3,670 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, dual SU carburetors, four-speed David Brown manual gearbox, independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms, coil springs and anti-roll bar, live rear axle with Watt’s linkage, trailing links and coil springs, and four-wheel, servo-assisted hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 98"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Ned Jackson