Pierce-Arrow Model 66-QQ 5-Passenger Touring Car
The first six-cylinder Pierce was the Model 65-Q, introduced in 1907. Like the fours that preceded it, the new powerplant was of T-head configuration, displacing an impressive 648 cubic inches. Built on a 135-inch wheelbase, nearly a foot longer than the largest four-cylinder model, the 65-Q weighed in at slightly more than 4,000 pounds. About 100 were built, as opposed to 900 fours, but the tide was turning. A smaller, 40 horsepower six, the 40-S, was added in 1908, and another, derived from the 24 horsepower four-cylinder 24-T before the year was out. The last Pierce fours were built in 1909. For 1910, there were three sixes, the 36-UU, on wheelbases of 119 and 125 inches, the 48-SS with 128- and 134-inch chassis, and the 133- or 140-inch 66-QQ, which was basically the 65-Q with a quarter-inch larger bore. The model numbers were derived from the cars’ rated horsepower, which was calculated solely from the bore and number of cylinders. Successive models of 38, 48 and 66 horsepower would comprise the Pierce catalog through 1918.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida.
66hp, 824.7 cu. in. T-head six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with ¾ -elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes.
Source: RM Auctions