Jaguar Mark IX Saloon
Grace, space, pace. Perhaps no Jaguars better epitomized the company’s advertising mantra than the big saloon cars of the 1950s and ’60s. The basic Mark VII enjoyed a ten-year life, being upgraded sequentially before being replaced during 1961. During that time the engine was enlarged to 3.8 liters, automatic transmission became available, and subtle styling changes were made, including a curved windshield on the 1957 Mark VIII. The Mark IX of 1959 made servo-assisted disc brakes and power steering standard and upgraded the engine to 3.8 liters. By this time, most cars were equipped with the Borg Warner automatic transmission, though manual and overdrive gearboxes remained an option. Although it continued the model sequence, the Mark X of 1961 was a car of a completely different character, having more modern styling and independent rear suspension. Thus, it is the Marks VII through IX that remain revered for that classic grace, space and pace.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
220 bhp, 3,781 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, three-speed Borg Warner automatic transmission, torsion bar independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel servo-assisted hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 120"
Source: RM Auctions