Chevrolet National Landau Coupe
Chevrolet was on an expansionist kick as the 1920s roared to a close. Not only were technical advances arriving regularly, the cars had increasingly grandiose names. The 1927 models had been designated “Capitol”; for 1928 this grew to “National.”
The period was good for Chevrolet. Although long a distant second to Ford in the sales race, Chevy steadily gained ground through 1926. Then, in 1927 as Ford finally ceased production of the antiquated Model T, Chevy surged ahead, its advanced specification (overhead valves, selective gear transmission, steel disc wheels) compounding its temporary lack of competition. Chevrolet grew four inches in 1928 and received four-wheel brakes. It remained first in sales, as Ford’s new Model A struggled to catch up.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
35 bhp, 170.9 cu. in. ohv inline four-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 107"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Stephen Goodal