Bentley 4 1/4 Litre Drophead Coupe
Today we know that the 4¼ Litre Bentley was a replacement for the former 3½ Litre model. The subtle announcement was merely an attempt to appease customers who had already ordered cars equipped with the smaller motor and whose chassis were at the contracted coachbuilders. Chassis, gearbox, axle ratios and the like were duplicates of the 3½ Litre cars.
The previous 3½ Litre model was the first new Bentley following the acquisition of the firm by Rolls-Royce in 1931. Essentially a tuned twin-carburetted version of R-R’s tried-and-true 20/25, it was produced at the Derby Works and introduced to the public in 1931; it remained in production until the announcement of the new 4¼ Litre. The new motor became available in March 1936 alongside introduction of its sister car at Rolls-Royce Ltd., known as the 25/30. A total of 1,235 examples were produced through about May 1939 when the last model was completed.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2009 at the Battersea Evolution, London and in June of 2011 at the Syon House, London.
125 hp, 4,257 cc inline six-cylinder overhead valve engine, four-speed manual transmission, front suspension via beam axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs, and rear suspension via live axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 126"
Source: RM Auctions