Ford Model A Phaeton
In gearing up for the Model T’s replacement, Henry Ford left production lines at his plants idle beginning May of 1927. The first Model A engine was completed on October 20, 1927, and the following day it was installed in the first Model A assembled. Reverting to the Model A designation symbolized the impact the car was to have on the Ford Motor Company. Like the Model T, it was imminently affordable, yet that is where the similarities ended. Thanks to the style-conscious Edsel Ford, the influence of the Lincoln automobile in the new Ford was unmistakable. Arguably, it helped the new car appeal to both the average buyer as well as people like New York governor Franklin D. Roosevelt and actress Mary Pickford, both of whom owned Model As.
Mechanical refinements were numerous over its Model T predecessor. Highlights included a sturdier frame and new four-cylinder engine that generated twice the power, four-wheel brakes, distributor ignition, and three-speed sliding gear transmission. Two new body styles, the two-door “Tudor” and the four-door “Fordor,” became the most popular styles, proving once and for all that the day of the fully-closed car had arrived. As production increased, 6,435 Model As rolled off Ford Motor Company assembly lines by the end of each day.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
40 hp, 200 cu. in. L-head four-cylinder, three-speed sliding gear-type transmission with floor shifter, mechanical four-wheel brakes, transverse leaf springs and solid axles front and rear. Wheelbase: 103.5".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Stephen Goodal