Lincoln Model K Convertible Sedan
Lincoln introduced the Model K in 1930, largely in response to Cadillac’s new V-16. Replacing the conservative Model L, the new car used the former 385 cid V-8, though horsepower rose from 90 to 120 thanks to a compression boost and the installation of the industry’s first downdraft carburetor by Stromberg. The wheelbase was stretched 9 inches to 145 inches, and the new frame, with six cross-members and cruciform braces, 7.00x19 tires, and a longer, lower and more graceful body, gave the Lincoln a sleek profile. A peaked radiator shell, longer hood, and higher windows also contributed to the dramatic look. Also new were bowl-shaped headlights and dual trumpet horns with town and country settings.
Engineers introduced freewheeling and synchromesh on second and third gears in addition to a new double dry disc clutch, cable-operated Bendix Duo-Servo brakes, and double-acting Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers at all four wheels. The big Lincoln V-8 was now fitted with five main bearings plus separate generator and starter units, and a mechanical fuel pump replaced the obsolete vacuum system. Model year production increased slightly over 1930 with 3,540 units built.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
120 hp, 384.8 cu. in. L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, three-speed manual sliding gear transmission, Bendix Dual Servo mechanical brakes on all four wheels, full floating rear axle. Wheelbase: 145".
Source: RM Auctions