Lincoln Model K Convertible Coupe
Under Ford ownership, the success of Lincoln’s 1930 Model L relied on two elements. The first was the superb design in engineering executed by Henry Leland, his son Wilfred and their staff, all before Ford bought Lincoln. Ford wisely kept the Lincoln V8 engine, with its expensive but elegant fork and blade connecting rods and the advanced chassis in which it was installed for nearly a decade after buying the company. The second was Edsel Ford, who had an innate sense of design and refinement control of Lincoln coachwork. His work with the finest independent coachbuilders produced elegant and up-to-date, attractive catalog bodies.
Of course, in 1930, production of the Model L was nearing an end, with an all-new Model K set to appear in 1931. To help boost sales Lincoln made subtle, yet tasteful, changes to the L model for 1930. What’s more, all Lincolns in 1930 were equipped with four-wheel mechanical drum brakes and benefited from the addition of Gemmer worm and roller-type steering that provided more precise steering and considerably improved overall handling. The top speed of the Lincoln was 80 miles per hour, with a 10-to-30 mile per hour time of 5.2 seconds and fuel consumption of 12 miles to the gallon.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2009 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
90bhp, 384.8 cu. in. L-head V8 engine, three-main bearings, mechanical lifters, three-speed sliding gear transmission and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 136"
Source: RM Auctions