Cadillac V-12 Roadster
Of all the custom coachbuilders who built on Cadillac chassis, none is more closely linked to the marque than Fleetwood. While today the name is associated with the top model of Cadillac, in the past it represented design and construction of bespoke bodies. Its origins go back nearly as far as the history of General Motors, the corporation by which Fleetwood has been owned for more than three quarters of a century.
The Fleetwood Metal Body Company came into being in 1909. Formed at Fleetwood, Pennsylvania, it was not an evolution of a carriage-building company but created specifically to build automobile bodies. Early on, most work was for Packard, with about 10 percent for Pierce-Arrow and about half that for Cadillac. Most of the designs were conservative, but some of the more stylish ones were actually the work of Raymond Dietrich, then at LeBaron. Fleetwood was particularly known for the quality of interior woodwork.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2009 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
135bhp, 368 cu. in. overhead valve V12 engine, three-speed manual transmission, suspension via front and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs, solid front axle, live rear axle, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 140"
Source: RM Auctions; Mecum Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Simon Clay