Rolls-Royce Phantom V Limousine
The position of Rolls-Royce as the preferred conveyance of heads of state, nobility and royalty, established in the decades between the World Wars, continued and indeed was enhanced after 1945. Most of the other great luxury marques of Europe and the U.S. had succumbed to the Depression, so those who might have chosen Isotta-Fraschini, Pierce-Arrow or Hispano-Suiza were instead drawn to Rolls-Royce. It would not be until 1963 that Mercedes-Benz would once again enter this realm, and while the 600 Grosser Limousine certainly had presence, it ultimately lacked the style and elegance of a Rolls-Royce.
While most of the Rolls-Royce post-war limousines were built on the Silver Wraith chassis, the top offering of the company was the Phantom IV. Truly one of the most exclusive vehicles ever built, a mere 18 were created from 1950 to 1956 and sold only to royalty and heads of state. Its successor was rather more egalitarian in distribution if not in build quality, refinement and cost. Launched in 1959, the Phantom V proved to be a favorite of monarchs and moguls in equal measure.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
200 hp, 380 cu. in. V8 engine, two SU carburetors, four-speed automatic transmission, coil front and leaf spring rear suspension, four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 127".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright: Steve Giraud