Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn Saloon
Exhibited for the first time at the 1949 Toronto, Canada International World’s Fair, the Silver Dawn was introduced to appeal to those who wished to drive their car rather than be driven in it, as was the typical Rolls-Royce fashion at the time. It was, for all intents and purposes, a Bentley Mark IV with a Rolls-Royce radiator topped with the all-important Spirit of Ecstasy. It was initially available for export-only, until 1953 when it was introduced to the home market. Outwardly, there was little difference between the two cars, but in the engine bay, there was one main difference; the Silver Dawn used a single Stromberg carburetor, while the Bentley used twin S.U. carburetors. A total of 761 Silver Dawns were produced from 1949 through 1955, of which the majority had standardized coachwork from Rolls-Royce’s in-house contract with Pressed Steel.
According to Rolls-Royce Foundation records, LSNF29 was shipped to the United States from Liverpool, U.K. aboard the S.S. American Chief, arriving in Newport News, Virginia on February 10, 1953. The Shell Grey car was then delivered to J. Pry, Ltd. in Washington, D.C. and sold to a J. Reynolds, Esq., owner of Reynolds Drugs, a Walgreen Agency, in Clinton, North Carolina on September 30, 1953. For the past several years it has formed part of a respected private collection. Documents are on file and are available for review.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2010 at the Shotwell Gustafson Pavilion at Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, Michigan.
128-150 bhp, 4,566 cc (4.5 L) inline six-cylinder, automatic transmission, independent front suspension with helical springs and hydraulic dampers, semi-elliptic rear springs with hydraulic dampers, hydraulic front and mechanical rear brakes with mechanical servo assist. Wheelbase: 120"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel