Ford Model B Woodie Station Wagon
While 1932 was a landmark year marked by the debut of the now-classic “Deuce” and the flathead V8 engine, not every potential buyer was looking for innovation or more power. Ford continued to offer the venerable four-cylinder Model A engine, which was carefully updated. In addition, the Ford product catalog continued to include the tough, yet remarkably stylish wood-bodied Station Wagon. Originally built as practical, utilitarian vehicles, their cachet grew over the years, thanks to their handsome bodywork.
Ford had long employed custom body shops to produce its station wagons, including Cantrell, York-Hoover, Waterloo and others, all using chassis supplied by individual Ford dealers. With the arrival of the new Model A in late 1927, however, Ford began to consider moving station wagon production in-house. Edsel Ford turned to his friend Clarence W. Avery at the Murray Corporation, one of Ford’s outside body builders, to provide the detailed design and the custom metal stampings needed to begin such a project. Old-growth hardwood was sourced from Ford’s own Iron Mountain forest, and Murray, in turn, farmed out the elaborate millwork to Mengel Body Company in Louisville, Kentucky, with final assembly completed by Baker-Raulang, starting in 1930. Baker-Raulang then shipped the completed bodies to Ford assembly plants, to be joined to a waiting chassis.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida and in October of 2011 at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
50hp, 200 cu. in inline four-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf spring, ¾-floating rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf spring, and four-wheel mechanically-actuated internal-expanding brakes. Wheelbase: 106".
Source: RM Auctions