Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sedanca de Ville
The most complex Rolls-Royce ever, the Phantom III debuted in 1935. Its overhead valve V12 engine was of slightly smaller displacement than the six-cylinder Phantom II but was silky smooth and powerful. As for “Mulliner,” the name was very common in coachbuilding, so it is important to distinguish the enterprises. H.J. Mulliner founded a new company in London in 1900, quite distinct from that of Arthur Mulliner in Northampton. H.J. Mulliner had the distinction of building a two-seater for C.S. Rolls on a Silver Ghost chassis. By 1908, however, he had sold out to John Croal and retired.
Croal continued the firm under the original name and, by the 1920s, was held in the same regard as Hooper and Barker. The first work for Bentley was in 1923, and it was 1928 before a Rolls-Royce was seen on the H.J. Mulliner stand at Olympia. Thereafter, however, there was never a showing without one. From the early thirties onward, H.J. Mulliner worked almost exclusively on Rolls-Royce and Bentley chassis.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in May of 2010 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco.
165 hp, 7,338 cc overhead valve V12 engine, dual ignition with coils and distributors, four-speed manual gearbox, independent coil spring front suspension axle, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and four-wheel servo-assisted brakes. Wheelbase: 3,607 mm (142")
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood