Ford Standard Woodie Station Wagon
In 1939, the Standard and Deluxe station wagons were readily distinguishable from one another. The standard used 1938-style front fenders, and a grille based on the 1938 Deluxe configuration, but with a more distinctive upper section and hood side panels. Most station wagons now had safety glass all around, though side curtains were still available. Just 315 Standard wagons were so equipped, however, against 2,203 with glass. Standard wagons had artificial leather seats, while Deluxe models got leather facing on the cushions. The Standard model lacked the bright windshield moldings, passenger windshield wiper and sun visor of the Deluxe models, but some of these could be added as options. The basic price of the Deluxe wagon was just $85.00 more than the Standard, so most customers opted for the additional features. More than 8,200 Ford station wagons were built in 1939, second only to 1937’s record.
In concert with other 1939 Fords, they were the first to use hydraulic brakes and the last available only with floor shift. They had another distinction: the last to use Murray-built bodies. At the end of the model year, the assembly process was transferred to Ford’s timber operations in Iron Mountain, Michigan.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
85 bhp, 221 cu. in. Flathead V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission with Columbia rear end, solid front axle and live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112".
Source: RM Auctions