Ford V8 Woodie Station Wagon
Under Edsel Ford’s direction, the 1935 Fords were restyled by designer Phil Wright, then working at Briggs Manufacturing Company, which was supplying many Ford bodies. A veteran of the Walter M. Murphy Company, Wright’s prior credits also included the 1933 Pierce Silver Arrow, and he would go on to work at Packard. The public found the new Ford attractive, so much so that it handily outsold Chevrolet.
The front doors reverted to hinges at the A pillar, and the overall look was cleaner, in part because cowl lamps were eliminated, their function incorporated into the headlamps. Although the wheelbase remained the same, the engine was moved forward eight inches. This allowed more passenger room inside, and placement of the rear seat ahead of the axle, rather than over it. The ride was improved with longer, more flexible transverse leaf springs, relocated outside the wheelbase, not directly over the axles. Ford called the concept “Center Poise Ride.”
The station wagon body was also redesigned. The “eggcrate” look of earlier woodies was replaced with narrower horizontal panels, five to a door. The spare tire was moved from the fender to the tailgate, and a heavy compensating spring added to allow easier raising and lowering of the gate. For the first time in a Ford station wagon, the front doors had roll-up windows. Wagon production soared, topping 4,500.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California, in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona and in January of 2011 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
85 bhp, 221 cu. in. Flathead V8 engine, three-speed manual transmission with Columbia two-speed rear end, solid front axle and live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 112".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel