Lincoln KA 2/4-Passenger Two-Door Coupe
Even though Henry Leland, who founded Cadillac in 1902, also formed Lincoln, a sharp post-war recession and other issues nearly ended the marque shortly after the introduction of its first automobile. Saved from receivership by Henry Ford in 1922 and capably led by Edsel Ford, Lincoln quickly rose to prominence in the American luxury car market of the 1920s. The Model K, which finally replaced Leland’s Model L in 1931, was the first new Lincoln model under Ford ownership, and its fresh styling boosted sales. In 1932, the Lincoln model range was expanded for 1932 with the V8-powered KA riding a 136-inch wheelbase, and the V12-powered KB on a 145-inch wheelbase.
In 1933, a V12 engine of 382 cubic inches was introduced to the KA, creating a more affordable alternative to the KB. The KA V12, while based upon the KB’s design, was both simpler and less expensive to produce. Expanded in 1934 to 414 cubic inches, the new design became the sole Lincoln power plant until 1936, and it is considered by marque experts to be the company’s finest V12 engine ever. Today, the V12 Lincolns of 1932-1934 remain highly prized for their style, luxury, quality, performance, and sheer rarity.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2009 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
150bhp, 414 cu. in. V12 engine, two-barrel carburetor, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with leaf springs, full-floating rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 136"
Source: RM Auctions