Jaguar Mark IV Saloon
Jaguar met the immediate post-war market in 1945 with its trusty 1.5-, 2.5- and 3.5-litre saloons dating back to 1935 and began a concentrated effort to cultivate the burgeoning American market. Only six-cylinder models were officially sent to America, and these early offerings, retrospectively known as the “Mark IV,” quickly gained a following, especially when they were first offered with left-hand drive during 1947. The 125 hp, 3.5-litre OHV six-cylinder engine offered ample power and torque for American tastes, while the large Lucas P100 headlights and upright grille of the Mark IV were welcome reminders of a more elegant, coachbuilt past.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in June of 2011 at the Syon House, London.
125 hp, 3,485 cc OHV six-cylinder engine, twin SU side-draft carburettors, Moss four-speed manual gearbox, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear, and Girling four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 120".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tim Scott