Aston Martin DB6
Debuting in 1959, the Aston Martin DB4 benefited from a new Tadek Marek-designed 3.7-litre DOHC alloy six-cylinder engine, which featured efficient hemispherical combustion chambers and a robust bottom end with seven main bearings. Variations of this torque and versatile unit, later in 4.0-litre form, powered the DB4, DB5, DB6 and early DBS-model Aston Martins over the next 13 years. Of this distinguished lineage, the DB6 is increasingly appreciated today as the most refined and perhaps the most usable expression of David Brown’s gentleman’s grand-touring machine.
The DB6 continued the attractive covered-headlamp frontal treatment of the DB5, while the rear featured the distinctive and aerodynamically-efficient Kamm tail. Both front and rear were updated with an elegant ‘quarter bumper’ treatment which typifies the DB6 range. The chassis was extended to accommodate the finally useful rear seats, headroom was increased, and the body panels were, as always, of hand-formed aluminum construction. In all, just 1,321 DB6 Coupés were built between 1965 and 1970, and their performance, style and sophisticated driving dynamics contribute to their desirability among today’s marquee enthusiasts.
Part of the RM Auctions event at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center in August, 2009; at the Syon House in June, 2011 and in London, October, 2012.
282 bhp, 3,995 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine with triple SU carburetors, ZF five-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms, coil springs and anti-roll bar, live rear axle with coil springs, Watts linkage and radius rods, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 101.7".
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Ashley Kay and Tom Wood