Studebaker Commander Sedan
In October 1932, Studebaker teetered on the verge of bankruptcy following a failed merger with the White Motor Company. Receivership followed in early 1933, but a massive reorganization, including the divestment of Pierce-Arrow and the termination of the low-priced Rockne line, returned the company to viability. Its finely styled models, along with a successful $10 million advertising campaign engineered by new company president Paul G. Hoffman in 1934, confirmed that Studebaker was indeed back.
Studebaker continued to offer its popular combination of solid engineering and sheer value throughout the remainder of the 1930s. However, its enviable status as America’s top independent automaker was reconfirmed with the leading-edge styling of the 1941 model line, with design work by the noted firm of Raymond Loewy. New and thoroughly modern stylistic elements included a lower, wider stance, eliminated running boards, inclined die-cast side grilles, an enlarged greenhouse and air vents within the sides of the cowl. While the cars were lower in their overall height, headroom was maintained, and all Studebakers featured wider, more comfortable seats.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in July of 2010 at the Shotwell Gustafson Pavilion at Meadow Brook Hall, Rochester, Michigan.
94 bhp, 226 cu. in. L-head inline six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with transverse leaf spring, semi-floating rear axle, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 119"
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel