Packard One-Ten Station Wagon
Station wagon: it is what it says – a vehicle for transporting passengers and cargo to and from the railroad station. Initially the wood-bodied station wagon was considered a utility vehicle, but during the 1930s, Ford built thousands and they acquired a certain cachet, especially at the country estates of the wealthy. By the final years of the decade it was natural for prestige automakers to add such a model to their own catalogs.
Packard’s first production station wagon was offered in mid-1937. Following the success of the low-priced One Twenty series introduced in 1935, Packard prepared a six-cylinder car, essentially a scaled-down One Twenty, for 1937. Called simply “Six,” it was designated Model 115-C, the number representing its wheelbase. Prices started at $795, helping to sell more than 65,000 cars, which was more, even, than the already popular eight-cylinder One Twenty. At $1,295, the wagon, with body by Cantrell of Huntington, New York, was a full $385 more than the next least expensive body style.
For 1938, the wagon was dropped but then reinstated for 1939. For 1940 it was joined by an eight-cylinder version in the One Twenty line. During the year, Packard phased out Cantrell bodies in favor of Hercules of Evansville, Indiana. Founded as Brighton Buggy Company at Cincinnati, Ohio in 1894, the firm supplied horse-drawn vehicles to Sears, Roebuck & Co. After moving to Evansville in 1902, it was renamed Hercules, and in 1905 an offshoot, Hercules Body Company, was formed to build automobile bodies. From the teens, Hercules built various wood truck and depot hack bodies for Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet chassis. This activity continued right through the 1930s. In 1939, the company added General Motors to its clients list, supplying station wagon bodies for Chevrolet, Pontiac and Oldsmobile. For 1941, Hercules supplied 358 station wagon bodies to Packard for six-cylinder (now called One Ten, though the wheelbase had grown to 122 inches) and One Twenty chassis, both of which could be had in standard and Deluxe trim.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
100 bhp, 245 cu. in. L-head inline six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, coil spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 122"
Source: RM Auctions