Jaguar’s XK120 roadster created a sensation at its 1948 introduction. Low and lithe, it had a curvaceous envelope body and a newly-designed dual overhead cam six of 3,442 cc. The model took its name from a May 1949 speed run by a production roadster on Belgium’s Jabbeke Highway, where it was clocked at over 120 mph. A handsome fixed-head coupe was added to the line in 1951 and a convertible with roll-up side windows in 1953.
For 1955, the chassis was redesigned, with larger torsion bars and rack-and-pinion steering. The engine was given higher-lift camshafts which raised horsepower to 190. The car was re-designated XK140, and an XK140 MC variant with the cylinder head from the C-Type Jag boasted 210 bhp.
The final iteration of the original XK arrived in 1958 with the XK150. Significantly restyled, the cars now had a higher beltline with virtually no dip ahead of the rear fender. The windshield was a one-piece curved affair, and the grille was widened. For the first time, four-wheel disc brakes were available and fitted to most cars. An XK150 S model, with engine uprated to 250 bhp, was added to the line. In mid-1961, the all-new E-Type, sold as XK-E in North America, was introduced, and the XK150 was quietly phased out.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2010 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
190 hp, 3,442 cc twin overhead cam inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent wishbone front suspension with torsion bars and anti-roll bar, rear live axle with semi-elliptic springs, rack and pinion steering, four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 102"
Source: RM Auctions