Pierce-Arrow Model 48 2/3-Passenger Coupe
A defining moment in the evolution of the Pierce automobile came in 1904, with the introduction of the four-cylinder Great Arrow. Pierce’s son Percy drove one in the inaugural 1905 Glidden Tour, winning the reliability contest hands down. Pierces took the Glidden trophy for the next four events. “Pierce” and “Arrow” became so linked in the public eye that both car and company were renamed Pierce-Arrow in 1909. By then, Pierce-Arrows, which sold for $3,050 to $7,200, had joined the “Three Ps” of luxury manufacture, the other members of which were Packard and Peerless.
In contrast to Peerless, which introduced a V-8 in 1916, and Packard who brought out the famed “Twin Six” V-12 the same year, Pierce-Arrow held firm to six cylinders, right through to 1927. Pierce’s hallmark for many years was the T-head configuration, produced in several sizes; for most of the teen years these were of 38, 48 and 66 horsepower. In 1918 the 38 and 66 were discontinued and the 48 re-designed with dual valves.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2010 at the Battersea Evolution, London and in January of 2012 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona.
48 hp, 525 cu. in. T-head dual-valve six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual gearbox, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with three-quarter-elliptic leaf springs, and two-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 142".
Source: RM Auctions