Lancia Lambda Torpedo 7th Series
Few automakers possess as storied and innovative a history as Lancia, the Turinese automaker started by Vincenzo Lancia in late November 1906. Sig. Lancia got his start by working as an inspector for Fiat and, later, as a successful racing car driver. His dream, however, was to create a line of groundbreaking cars that would excel both on the road and track. What he envisioned eventually became the steel monocoque, now known today as unibody construction and used in almost every modern production car. In an era where every vehicle was of heavy body-on-frame design, to say that Lancia’s monocoque design was revolutionary is an understatement.
The 7th Series Lambda was introduced in May 1926 and continued the policy of gradual improvement seen in previous series. It was built on two wheelbase lengths, the Tipo 216/217 long chassis or the shorter Tipo 218/219 Corta model (the numbers denoting torpedo or saloon coachwork respectively). Obvious external identifying features from earlier series included smaller doors and a distinctive boot-lid design. Internally, the most significant change was the introduction of the Tipo 78 engine. The upgraded 2,370-cc V-4 engine produces 59 horsepower and several features to improve refinement and reliability.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
59 bhp, 2,370 cc V-4 engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension, rear suspension via live axle and semi-elliptical leaf springs, and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 3,420 mm.
Source: RM Auctions
Photo Credit: Copyright Tom Wood