Porsche’s legendary 911 began with initial sketches by Ferdinand “Butzi” Porsche in 1959 illustrating a larger, more powerful and more comfortable successor to the 356. Ferdinand Porsche developed the chassis and body, while his cousin Ferdinand Piech developed its air-cooled “flat six.” With a slightly longer wheelbase, the new Porsche debuted at Frankfurt in 1963 as the “901.” However, following Peugeot’s objections to the name, claiming rights to all three-digit car names with zeroes in the middle, a simple change heralded the “911.”
Production began in September 1964, and as before the 911 was relentlessly developed. The high-performance “S” debuted for 1967 and immediately spawned a number of lightweight competition variants that dominated their racing classes. Main “S” upgrades included a compression boost to 9.8:1, forged pistons with raised crowns, stronger connecting-rods, high-performance camshafts with increased overlap, enlarged valves, Weber IDS carburettors and revised exhaust ducting, plus brake and suspension revisions. Bosch mechanical fuel injection debuted for 1969 and maintained the engine’s 180-bhp output while meeting tougher emissions standards.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in October of 2011 at the Battersea Evolution, London.
180 bhp (DIN), 1,991 cc air-cooled, horizontally opposed, six-cylinder engine, Bosch mechanical fuel-injection, five-speed manual gearbox in rear transaxle, four-wheel independent suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,268 mm.
Source: RM Auctions