The Triumph Renown is strictly the name given to the Triumph's large saloon car made from 1949 to 1954 but it is, in reality, part of a three car series of the 1800, 2000 and Renown models. Together with the Triumph Roadster, they were the first vehicles to carry the Triumph badge following the company's takeover by the Standard Motor Company.
The cars were distinctively styled with what became known as Razor Edge coachwork. The six light (featuring three side windows on each side) design and the thin C pillars at the rear of the passenger cabin anticipated the increased window areas that would become a feature of British cars during the 1960s. The car's side profile resembled that of the contemporary prestigious Bentley saloons, which some felt was more than a coincidence. Similar styling subsequently appeared on the smaller Triumph Mayflower.
The body was built in the traditional coachbuilders method of sheet metal over a wooden frame by Mulliners of Birmingham. The principal panels were constructed not from steel, which was in short supply directly after the war, but from aluminium. This material had been extensively used for aircraft manufacture during the war, which had taken place in a number of car plants (known at the time as "shadow factories") in the English Midlands.
However, by the mid 1950s aluminium had become the more expensive metal which may have hastened the model's demise.
Source: Wikipedia, 2011