Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spyder
The Ferrari 250 was a sports car built from 1953 to 1964. The company's most successful early line, the 250 series included several variants. It was replaced by the 275 and the 330.
Designed for export to America, the 1957 250 GT California Spyder was Scaglietti's interpretation of an open-top 250 GT. Aluminum was used in the hood, doors, and trunk lid, with steel specified elsewhere for most models, though a few aluminum-bodied racing versions were also built. The engine was the same as in the 250 Tour de France racing car with up to 240 PS (177 kW; 237 hp). All used the long 2,600 mm (102.4 in) chassis.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in March of 2009 at the The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Florida and in May of 2009 at Ferrari S.p.A., Fiorano Modenese, Modena, in May of 2010 at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco, in August of 2010 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California and in May of 2011 at the Spazio Villa Erba, Cernobbio, Como.
240bhp, 2,953 cc overhead camshaft alloy block and head V12 engine, four-speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension via A-arms, coil springs and telescopic shocks, and rear suspension via live axle, semi-elliptical springs and hydraulic shocks, four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 102.4".
Sources: RM Auctions, Gooding & Company and Wikipedia, 2011
Photo Credit: Copyright Darin Schnabel, Tim Scott Fluid Images and Shooterz.biz