Jaguar Mark II
The Jaguar Mk II series of 2.4, 3.4, 3.8, 240, and 340 models were built from 1959 to early 1969 with a total of 91,216 cars produced. These handsome cars set new standards of style, comfort, and, above all, performance as they offered discerning buyers a luxurious, wood-trimmed alternative to a more conventional family car in a sportier package.
For 1960, the 3.4 was officially renamed the Mk II and was offered with a 3,781 cc engine – the same powerplant as the standard XK150 and the largest one the Mk II would ever carry. A tachometer, limited-slip differential, four-wheel disc brakes and four-speed transmission with overdrive were all standard while the automatic transmission remained optional.
In road trim, the 200-horsepower Mk II 3.8 was capable of 125-mph top speeds and 0–60 times of just 8.5 seconds. The new cars were equally impressive in long-distance racing and in 1961 broke four world records in the 3–5 liter class, averaging 106.58 mph over 10,000 miles.
This car was auctioned off by RM Auctions in January of 2009 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, Phoenix, Arizona and in August 2009 at the Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California.
220 bhp, 3,781 cc double overhead camshaft inline six-cylinder engine, Borg Warner automatic transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, rigid rear axle with cantilever springs, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 107.4".
Source: RM Auctions