In 1955, the R-Type was replaced by the S1, the first car to be developed and built at Crewe. There was a Continental coupé version, although it lacked the grace and pace of the R-Type Continental. The S1 was longer and roomier than the R-Type; automatic transmission was standard. It was also the last Bentley fitted with a six-cylinder engine. Its successor, the S2, saw the debut of the all-aluminium 6.25-litre V8 - lighter yet more powerful than the outgoing six - which, in various modified forms, has remained in production.
The S2 was the first Bentley that had power steering as standard. Air conditioning was an option. The S3, distinguished by its four-headlamps in the front wings, followed in 1962.