Bentley is expanding the Flying Spur family by introducing a V8 S version which slots between the V8 and the flagship W12.

Bentley is expanding the Flying Spur family by introducing a V8 S version which slots between the V8 and the flagship W12.

If you want a little bit more power than the standard Flying Spur V8 but don’t want to upgrade to the mighty W12, the new V8 S hits the sweet spot. Its biturbo V8 4.0-liter engine has been massaged to deliver 521 horsepower (388 kilowatts) and 502 pound-feet (680 newton meters) of torque from 1,700 rpm.

The added punch has shaved 0.3 seconds from the 0-62 mph (0-100 kph) sprint which now takes 4.9 seconds (0-60 mph is done in 4.6 seconds). Take it all the way to the max, the Flying Spur V8 S will top out at an impressive 190 mph (306 kph).

Aside from gaining more power, the newcomer benefits from engine and transmission calibrations that have improved throttle response while the power is now accessible from a lower rpm level. The engine’s output is channeled to both axles with help from a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission sending 40% of torque to the front wheels and the other 60% to the rear axle.

Bentley’s engineers have optimized the Electronic Stability Control system which allows increased wheel slip at higher speeds and torque is reinstated faster after a system intervention. It’s all for the sake of making the Flying Spur V8 S livelier and more fun to drive. This is also possible thanks to a more responsive suspension which improves handling and body control.

Besides all of these mechanical tweaks, the latest member of the Flying Spur family adopts some mild cosmetic revisions with a black matrix grille, Beluga gloss rear diffuser, and fresh 20-inch rims. At an additional cost, clients can opt for larger 21-inch Mulliner Driving Specification black wheels, tinted headlights and taillights, and glossy black mirror covers.

The interior has also been freshened up a little bit with piano black wood veneers, three-spoke sports steering wheel, along with knurled gear lever and gear shift paddles. It also has two-tone upholstery and a contrasting roof center bow.

The 2016 Bentley Flying Spur V8 S will celebrate its world premiere on March 1 at the Geneva Motor Show.

Source: Bentley

Be part of something big