The long rumoured deal that will see Mercedes take a 75% in Brawn GP has been confirmed. A move that will see the 2009 constructors champions be renamed to Mercedes Grand Prix.

The long rumoured deal that will see Mercedes in partnership with an Abu Dhabi investment company take a 75% stake in Brawn GP has been confirmed. A move that will see the 2009 constructors champions renamed as Mercedes Grand Prix.

Ross Brawn – who will remain as team principal and Nick Fry will retain a stake of 24.9%. The remaining 75.1% will be split between Mercedes (45.1%) and Abu Dhabi company Aabar Investments, (30%).

Furthermore, the German car maker's 40% stake in McLaren will be wound back by the end of 2011. Although McLaren have confirmed that it will continue to be powered by Mercedes engines at least until 2015 while fielding cars with the usual silver and red livery.

The deal will also have a strong effect on the drivers market. The German car maker has little interest in keeping current drivers world champion Jenson Button at the wheel. Their interest is geared towards creating an all German team. It is widely expected Nico Rosberg will occupy the team's number 1 spot with fellow countryman Nick Heidfeld to complete the line-up.

This of course leaves Jenson Button high and dry. But a recent visit to the McLaren factory with his manager Richard Goddard should be enough evidence as to where his intentions lie. Button is expected to double his £3.5 million salary at the British team and will drive alongside 2008 champion Lewis Hamilton.

It will be the first time two world champions have driven for the same team since Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost were team-mates at McLaren in 1989.

 

Be part of something big