Robert Kubica has reportedly inked only a one-year contract with Renault so that he is available should Ferrari be back on the driver market for 2011.

Robert Kubica has reportedly inked only a one-year contract with Renault so that he is available should Ferrari be back on the driver market for 2011.

Kubica, the 24-year-old Pole, was on Wednesday unveiled by the French team as Ferrari-bound Fernando Alonso's replacement.

But the Spanish newspaper AS, having previously predicted the precise long-term duration of Alonso's new Ferrari deal, believes Kubica is guaranteed to race for Renault only next season.

The report said he is leaving his options open in the event that Felipe Massa's return from serious injuries do not go smoothly.

Asked about the rumour that he is first in line after Massa for a seat at Maranello, Kubica told reporters last weekend in Japan: "That's the first time I have heard that."

 

Be part of something big