The Swiss based team currently known as BMW-Sauber has lodged an application for the thirteenth and final spot on the 2010 grid.

The Swiss based team currently known as BMW-Sauber has lodged an application for the thirteenth and final spot on the 2010 grid.

Even though the outfit is currently an active competitor, initial attempts to secure the team's future failed following news that majority owner BMW is pulling out at the end of the season.

Peter Sauber's failed takeover meant the Hinwil based team could not meet the deadline to sign up for the new Concorde Agreement.

As a result, the FIA re-opened the selection process so that new teams, such as Epsilon Euskadi and Prodrive, may apply to fill BMW-Sauber's spot in next year's world championship.

However, without the rights afforded by the Concorde Agreement, and without even an official entry for the 2010 championship, BMW-Sauber's chances of finding a buyer would be almost nil.

Therefore, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, it emerges that the team actually met the Monday (17 August) deadline imposed by the FIA to lodge an application for the thirteenth team entry.

The magazine also said simply closing the team is an option for BMW, unlike Honda, who handed over the now Brawn team for a symbolic 1 British pound in order to avoid a huge bill in staff redundancy payouts.

According to Swiss labour laws, however, BMW would reportedly not be similarly liable.

In a team media document last week, the team vowed to perform "as well as possible" at the final seven races of 2009 because it "will promote their case for a future in the sport".

"Efforts are continuing behind the scenes to find a solution for the team," said team boss Mario Theissen.

 

Be part of something big