A Ferrari spokesman has confirmed that Michael Schumacher will not be travelling with the team to the forthcoming Chinese and Bahrain grands prix.

A Ferrari spokesman has confirmed that Michael Schumacher will not be travelling with the team to the forthcoming Chinese and Bahrain grands prix.

The 40-year-old former seven time world champion, on duty as an advisor to the Italian team at the opening two races of 2009, faced immense public criticism for his apparent role in strategic blunders.

Ferrari figures got together for a post-Sepang 'crisis meeting' at Maranello earlier this week, but Schumacher was not present.

It now emerges that the team will do without the services of the most successful driver in F1 history for rounds three and four of the current championship.

"He will not be at those races," the spokesman is quoted as saying by Germany's Sport Bild.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said after the Tuesday meeting that he is determined the team should not become a laughing stock.

"I made the point that I don't want to find us on some sort of TV comedy video programme after each race," he insisted.

Marc Surer, a former Swiss F1 driver and regular commentary pundit, told a German language newspaper that Ferrari should not employ Schumacher if he is only a part-time advisor.

"You can only become part of the process of being a racing team if you are there all the time. But Schumacher is only a semi-advisor, and that is no solution," he told the Basler Zeitung.

 

Be part of something big