McLaren on Thursday night announced it will not appeal the decision to disqualify Lewis Hamilton from the Australian grand prix.

McLaren on Thursday night announced it will not appeal the decision to disqualify Lewis Hamilton from the Australian grand prix.

At Sepang on Thursday, a reconvened stewards inquiry found that the reigning world champion and his team offered the FIA officials "deliberately misleading" evidence at Albert Park last Sunday.

F1's governing body had reopened the case after a "new element" - believed to be radio traffic between the McLaren driver and his pitwall at the time of the incident - came to light regarding the Jarno Trulli safety car incident.

A statement issued by McLaren on Thursday night said: "The team mistakenly believed that the radio transmissions had been reviewed by the FIA (last) Sunday ... and consequently did not believe it was necessary to discuss them with the stewards on that date.

"Nonetheless, the (team) now regrets that it did not do so, accepts the stewards' decision and will not appeal."

Jarno Trulli, whose originally confiscated podium finish has now been reinstated, told the press in Malaysia that he is happy with the stewards' new decision.

"I have always been honest and this time it pays off," the Toyota driver said.

 

Be part of something big