A meeting next Wednesday could result in Hockenheim pulling out of formula one, but Bernie Ecclestone for now is refusing to step in.

A meeting next Wednesday could result in Hockenheim pulling out of formula one, but Bernie Ecclestone for now is refusing to step in.

The German circuit is no longer able or willing to sustain the growing costs of staging a race every two years, with a final decision to be made next week.

Asked whether Hockenheim is really contemplating exiting the calendar, track boss Karl-Josef Schmidt said: "At the moment that is not only conceivable, but quite a realistic scenario."

In a teleconference with Australian journalists last week, F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone said he is not "stupid enough" to let grand prix promoters go out of business.

But on Saturday, the 78-year-old told the German news agency SID: "It would be unfortunate if Hockenheim disappears from the calendar, but this is a matter for the (local) government."

 

 

Be part of something big