Mark Webber will not organise an edition of his outdoor adventure challenge in 2009.

Mark Webber will not organise an edition of his outdoor adventure challenge in 2009.

The Australian driver, who broke his right leg in a cycling crash during the event last November, has announced that the Mark Webber Challenge is taking a break due to the global financial crisis.

"The timing was right to review the challenge in light of the more difficult economic times," Webber, 32, said in a statement.

He revealed that "major sponsorship contracts" for the event expired in 2008, although the Tasmanian government and title sponsor Pure Tasmania want to remain on board.

A "disappointed" tourism minister Michelle O'Byrne said more funding would have been provided in 2009.

Shortly following Webber's injury last year, event director Geoff Donohue admitted that discussions would take place with Red Bull Racing about subsequent editions of the challenge.

But Donohue clarified on Wednesday that the 2009 edition has not been cancelled at Red Bull's request.

 

Be part of something big