Hans-Joachim Stuck, a famous German motor racing figure, has welcomed news that an all-American formula one team is targeting a grand prix debut in 2010.

Hans-Joachim Stuck, a famous German motor racing figure, has welcomed news that an all-American formula one team is targeting a grand prix debut in 2010.

It emerged on Wednesday that 'USF1', to be principally based in the US and showcase American technology and drivers, is set to be officially launched later this month.

Stuck, who contested grands prix in the 70s and now heads up Volkswagen's racing activities, said more American involvement in formula one would be a good thing.

"A world championship without the United States is not a real world championship," he told sport1.de, also referring to the absence from the calendar of a single North American round.

"So we can only wish them all the best that this works out.

"As long as there is no race and no American team, the interest (from the US) will always be low," the 58-year-old said.

Last year, we reported speculation that the prospective American team was in talks with Honda, after Ken Anderson attended the Montreal race and met with team chiefs Ross Brawn and Nick Fry.

With Honda's Brackley based team now for sale, Stuck said it would make sense for Anderson and his reported business partner Peter Windsor to now enter talks to take over the outfit.

"(Buying) Honda would be better than Toro Rosso, because of the superior infrastructure," he said.

 

Be part of something big