Volvo Trucks’ new Live Test ‘The Flying Passenger’ spotlights unique powertrain performance in spectacular paragliding stunt
The Flying Passenger' marks another world first for Volvo Trucks. In the latest Live Test, a Volvo FH tows a paraglider up a mountain pass in Croatia in a precision stunt never tried before. The truck driver has to maintain a high cruising speed to keep the paraglider in the air. The test highlights the performance of Volvo Trucks' unique powertrain, fitted with I-Shift Dual Clutch.
Watch ‘The Flying Passenger' here
Volvo Trucks is back with yet another spectacular Live Test. During the breath-taking ride, the Volvo FH tows the paraglider up a steep mountain road and under the narrow opening of an overhanging bridge. The tight space calls for high precision driving at a constant cruising speed without any room for error. The test was set up to demonstrate Volvo Trucks' unique powertrain, fitted with I-Shift Dual Clutch, enabling excellent performance whilst at the same time considerably lowering fuel consumption.
"Driving on high gears and securing seamless gear shifting is an important factor for fuel efficiency. The I-Shift Dual Clutch enables smooth driving whilst staying in high gears and low revs," says Staffan Wendeberg, Product Manager FH and Long Haul at Volvo Trucks.
In addition the unique gearbox has an important impact on productivity. I-Shift Dual Clutch provides power shift gear changes that ensure the engine does not lose any torque when changing gears under tough conditions.
"Meeting deadlines and keeping fuel consumption low, even when driving uphill and on winding roads, are key elements to success for many of our customers. This test is the perfect way to challenge our recently updated powertrain. ‘The Flying Passenger' illustrates in a very concrete and visual way what Volvo Trucks' performance and driveability is all about" says Claes Nilsson, President of Volvo Trucks.
‘The Flying Passenger' is the latest instalment in Volvo Trucks' Live Test series. Previous global successes include ‘The Epic Split', ‘The Hamster Stunt' and ‘Look Who's Driving'. All in all, the Live Test series has been viewed over 100 million times on YouTube.
The challenge was shot in the Dinaric Alps in Croatia on closed-off roads and under strict safety supervision.
November 29, 2016
Watch The Flying Passenger
Learn more about Volvo Trucks' unique powertrain
Meet the driver and the pilot of the ‘The Flying Passenger'
Link to high resolution pictures
Learn more about I-Shift Dual Clutch
See other stunts in the Live Test-series here
How it works - https://youtu.be/AZmEiNGqbmY
Facts Volvo Trucks' updated powertrain:
Euro 6 engine updates
Selected updates to the Euro 6 engine (13-litre, common rail):
- Common rail injection system for all power levels
- Improved compression for the D13 420 and 460 hp engines
- New optimised turbo for the D13 500 and 540 hp engines
- Reduced internal friction
- Updated software and engine control
- Reduction in engine weight
Volvo Trucks I-Shift Dual Clutch gearbox
- The I-Shift Dual Clutch transmission maintains torque delivery during gear changes
- A fully automated gear changing system allows high comfort and fuel-efficient driving
- The software packages adapt the gear changes to the prevailing conditions
- Possibility of manual gear selection
- Low weight thanks to compact design and aluminium housing
About this test:
- The test was shot during several days in Croatia.
- The truck used in the test is a Volvo FH 540 fitted with the updated D13 engine and I-Shift Dual Clutch gearbox.
- The driver in 'The Flying Passenger' is Louise Marriott, from New Zealand.
- The paraglider pilot in 'The Flying Passenger' is Guillaume Galvani, from France.
- The stunt is the world's first featuring a truck and a paraglider. It is also the first time a truck has ever towed a paraglider through a tunnel.