ALL-NEW LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SUV MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT WITH DISCOVERY VENICE POPUP IN ADVANCE OF THE LA SHOW
- All-new Land Rover Discovery displayed publicly for first time in U.S. on Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice, Calif, Nov. 11-14 alongside the latest innovations in active lifestyle gear including surfing, boating, cycling and fitness
- Guest appearances throughout the exhibition include big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton and champion volleyball player and fitness leader Gabby Reece, as well as additional Southern California personalities including Chef Stuart O’Keeffe, Olympic gold-medali
- All-new Land Rover Discovery full size SUV features unparalleled versatility, seating for seven adults(1) and offers very unique optional activity features, priced from $49,990(4)
- Discovery offers active consumers exclusive features including Intelligent Seat Fold(5) technology and waterproof Activity Key
- Lightweight aluminum construction cuts approximately 1,000 lbs(2) from the weight of the outgoing LR4 and delivers up to 14 percent greater City fuel economy(3)
- New Land Rover Discovery and full Land Rover lineup to be on display at the LA Auto Show from Nov. 18-27
(LOS ANGELES) – November 11, 2016 – Land Rover today announced the North American debut of the all-new 2017 Discovery SUV at an interactive consumer popup activation in the iconic Venice neighborhood of Los Angeles on Abbot Kinney Boulevard.
The Discovery Venice popup opened to the public today with big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton and wife Gabby Reece, champion volleyball player and fitness leader, on hand to help open the activation. The space is now open to the public through Monday, Nov. 14.
Attendees will be able to explore the new Land Rover Discovery and view a curated selection of the latest in premium activity gear, with opportunities to try out interactive training experiences and state-of-the-art fitness technologies with virtual reality. Curated gear will include surfing, cycling, sports and fitness innovations from ROKA, Cerevo, Hobie, Eddyline Kayaks, Parsons Xtreme Golf, Atlas Snowshoe Company, YERKA Bikes, FEND, Hiplok, PTX Performance Products USA, Blind Dog Surfboards among other top active lifestyle brands.
“We are thrilled to join Land Rover in the debut of the Discovery here in our hometown where outdoor activities and an active lifestyle are encouraged,” said Laird Hamilton and Gabby Reece. “The Discovery’s smart technology helps families on-the-go like ours; not only stay connected but also provides incredible room and storage, offering the perfect mix of versatility, innovation and luxury. We are so excited to introduce the car to the Venice community and join our fans for the exciting activities at Discovery Venice.”
“The Land Rover Discovery is the perfect choice for today’s active consumers who need vehicles that make their lives easier and more enjoyable. Whether it’s an exciting vacation or just a quick trip to the beach, the seven seat option provides versatility for any adventure, big or small,” said Kim McCullough, Vice President of Marketing, Jaguar Land Rover North America. “The new Discovery will make its US debut on Abbot Kinney in Venice with a fun and innovative pop up activation featuring the latest road bikes, fitness equipment, kayaks and surfboards. We really look forward to meeting local customers who share our same passion for innovation and design.”
The Land Rover Discovery is the brand’s most versatile SUV offering premium design and interiors, all-terrain capability and unique cutting-edge technology. With seating to accommodate up to seven full size adults comfortably(1), the Discovery features a distinctive stepped roof design for enhanced passenger headroom and comfort. Intelligent Seat Fold technology(5) allows owners to instantly configure seating remotely via their smartphone app.
The 2017 Discovery SUV is also available with Activity Key technology, which allows customers to enjoy sports and active hobbies without having to carry the standard key fob. The waterproof Activity Key simultaneously locks the vehicle and disables the standard key, which can be left safely inside. This leaves Discovery owners free to pursue their passions without worrying about the security of their vehicle.
The Discovery features advanced aluminum construction for enhanced capability and efficiency. Lightweight aluminum construction cuts approximately 1,000 lbs(2) from the weight of the outgoing LR4 and when equipped with the 3.0-liter supercharged V6 gasoline engine, the new Discovery delivers up to 14 percent greater City fuel economy compared to the outgoing Land Rover LR4 SUV(3).
Events at the Discovery Venice activation will include guest appearances from Southern California athletes, chefs and designers including Chef Stuart O’Keeffe, Olympic gold-medalist swimmer Conor Dwyer, vegan cookbook author Kristy Turner and interior designer Nathan Turner. Local food trucks including The Butcher’s Daughter, Cousins Main Lobster, Mandoline Grill, The JUICEBOX Truck, Urban Espresso and Peaches' Smokehouse & Southern Kitchen will be onsite throughout the activation with food available at discount rates. Consumers are also encouraged to visit nearby Venice businesses that have partnered with Land Rover for further discounts and special offers.
The Discovery Venice activation will be held at 1515 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice, California, 90291 and will be open to the public on the following days:
– Friday, Nov. 11 from 12 – 8 p.m.
– Saturday, Nov. 12 from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
– Sunday, Nov. 13 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
– Monday, Nov. 14 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.